Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Beginning. . . . . And the End

As you have probably guessed, life is very busy in our household, but it's a good busy. Because of that this blog will now have to come to a close. We started this blog with the intention of keeping family and friends informed and up to date with our adoption process, and it ended up being so much more. It was a blessing, really, to share this journey with you and we were blessed by your prayers and your encouraging words and acts of kindness. We are so grateful for that! So to end this chronicle we've decided to share with you a little bit of where we began.

So many people asked us in the beginning, "What led you to do this?" It seemed like there should be a simple answer, which was, in truth, because we felt the Lord's leading to do this. Well, what does that leading look like or feel like? As we began to examine how he led us to this we realized that he had been preparing us for this most of our lives. Whether it was, as a little girl, not being satisfied with the blond-haired, blue-eyed Barbie :); or having cousins who had been adopted internationally;, or the practicum in college with an adoption agency; or the good friend who showed us international adoption is doable if you're willing. For us it was a culmination of all these things and more that brought us here. Many assume we simply wanted to bring a little girl into our lives. That may have put a glimmer of excitement in MY heart, but we decided to leave that decision up to the Lord as well. We said we would be open to either gender. Fully expecting a referral of a boy (boys are requested less than girls) we saved all of our clothes from the other three in anticipation. When the call came, "It's a girl." We were shocked, happy, and had to make a quick mind-shift. Fortunately for us we had 6 months to prepare!

Back to our calling. . . Last summer ('06)I really felt the call to adopt come on strong, now looking back, I realize that is when our little Olivia first came into being. The Lord was beginning to prepare us for her. Over the last three or so years adoption had been at the forefront of our minds, but we always knew it wasn't the right time. Gabe was born, then we moved, etc, etc. Last summer and fall as I felt compelled to research adoption, I kept telling myself, "this is crazy, we can't do this!". And for 6 months we fought with God over that. In early December of last year we decided that we couldn't fight this anymore and decided to take the plunge and let God work out the details. And so began the journey you've been reading about over the last several months.

I guess the only reason I share all this with you is to give you encouragement. Maybe there is something the Lord is asking you to do but you feel it is impossible or possibly just too big a stretch for you. Could it be that he is holding out his hand to you and saying, "Trust me, I love you, now let's go on the ride of your life!!"? Does it mean that when we do what he asks that he will just lay it all out for us and our journeys will be smooth sailing? Absolutley Not! When you sign up to answer his call there WILL be bumps. I guess what I learned from our bumps and will hopefully continue to learn is how to really, I mean really, trust him and his perfect plans. We hear "trust the Lord" tossed around so much sometimes I have the tendency to passively dismiss what that really means. What I came to realize is that it meant, for me, coming completely to the end of myself (my understanding and abilities) and letting Him begin. It was there that a "peace that passes ALL understanding" was found. This isn't a one time battle, learning to truly trust God, for me it's daily submission (which doesn't come easy for a strong-willed person!) So my question for you is, are you ready to trust Him to take you where He needs you to go? It's tough, I know, but you will experience blessing far beyond any difficulties that may come your way.

In parting we leave you with picture's of a day in the life of Miss Olivia Kate.

Farewell, dear friends! God is faithful, God is Good.





2 comments:

Carey said...

Beautiful...the pictures and the words...thanks for sharing your story and reminding us that God is in charge, and He is faithful. Will miss your blog! God Bless!

Kim said...

Loved following your amazing journey..
Love the pictures..
Will miss your blog..
Have a WONDERFUL life with all of those bundles of joy..
Best Wishes.
Kim